SAN FRANCISCO — Americans are split along partisan lines over the issue of Covid-19 pandemic-based discrimination against Asian Americans, according to an April 2020 Harris Poll. A closer look at this problem reveals partisanship with what should be a non-partisan issue.
Six in ten (61%) of Democrats and less than one-third (31%) of Republicans feel hate/discrimination towards Asian Americans has risen since the COVID-19 outbreak. Four in ten (42%) of Independents feel discrimination has risen.
In fact, over half (54%) of Republicans think that the hate/discrimination towards Asian Americans has not risen and even more Republicans (56%) say they are not at all or not very concerned about the hate/discrimination towards Asian Americans related to the Coronavirus pandemic.
A quarter (26%) of Democrats and 42% of Independents are not at all or not very concerned about this xenophobia at Asian Americans.
There is an unacknowledged problem with both males and females.
- Less than half of Females (45%) and Males (46%) think hate/discrimination towards Asian Americans has risen.
- And, while a majority of Females (60%) and Males (58%) are concerned about this issue, a disconcerting number (40% Females/42% Males) are not concerned.
Millennials and Gen Z are once again more woke.
- The 18-34 age group were significantly more likely to say that hate/discrimination towards Asian Americans has risen (53%)
- Two-thirds (66%) of 18-34 year-olds say they are concerned about this hate/discrimination, which is also considerably higher than the other age groups.
Call to action, Raise Awareness.
- As expected, the Asian American community is worried. Three-quarters (75%) of Asian Americans are concerned about hate/discrimination towards Asian Americans related to the coronavirus pandemic, while only 55% of whites say the same vs 67% of African-Americans and 65% of Hispanics.
- Of those that were aware of the rise in hate towards Asian Americans, a large majority (82%) said they were concerned.
- This includes nearly seven in ten (68%) of Republicans who say they’ve seen a rise in hate/discrimination towards Asian American being concerned along with 88% of Democrats and 82% of Independents who acknowledged the problem and have expressed concern.
Wave 8 of The Harris Poll COVID-19 Tracker was conducted online on April 18-20, 2020 among 2,029 U.S. adults.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.