Baguio City logs 3rd COVID-19 death
By Vincent Cabreza
Philippine Daily Inquirer
2020-08-01 10:25:00

BAGUIO CITY — The summer capital has recorded a third coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) death out of 105 confirmed cases since March.

The latest casualty was a senior citizen from Lower Engineer’s Hill.

Another patient, a 23-year-old woman, has raised the number of patients undergoing treatment to 48 as of Friday (July 31).

The city recorded a spike in transmissions on July 25 and 26 which saw cases breach a hundred, owing to accelerated testing, the  City Health Services Office said.

Fifty six percent of the COVID-19 patients  are asymptomatic while 41 percent experienced  mild symptoms and have since healed, according to Dr. Donabelle Tubera-Panes, who heads the city’s infectious disease division.

Speaking at a July 28 briefing, Tubera said 32 patients had previously traveled to regions or countries where the virus had surfaced.

Analysts have determined that most of the infected individuals reside in seven of 58 villages penetrated by the virus. The city has 128 villages.

To address the increased rate of contamination, Baguio City has reimposed a Sunday lockdown and reduced market and shopping mall schedules to two days each week for all villages.

gsg

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.